Walk Through Our Beautiful Rainforest
Hokitika has the best selection of walks in NZ. From easy walks that wind through ancient rain forest to the beach, to more strenuous walks up steeper old goldmine areas. You can even talk a guided historical walk through the town.
There is a walk to suit all abilities and interests.
Click on the videos below for a taste of what is on offer.
This link will show you a wide range of walks here in Hokitika https://hokitika.org/see/outdoors/70/Walks
- Many of these walks can easily be incorporated into your sightseeing schedule. For example there are a few short walks around Lake Kaniere that you could do on your way out to Hokitika Gorge.
- The Tunnel Terrace walk is short you could detour out to it on your way up to Punakaiki.
- Blue Spur Bush walk is a really amazing walk through an old goldmine area. NOTE: Stay on the path as there are many mineshafts in the area. If it has rained recently, there will be a lot of muddy areas so be prepared.
- Wear sturdy shoes and bring some water.
- Bug spray is useful in summer.
- Stick to the track. Even on a short walk it is easy to become lost.